Unit 134 Phrasal Verbs 1 Introduction
- 동사와 같이 구동사¹(phrasal verb)를 만드는 단어들:
- look out / get on / take off / run away 등이 구동사(phrasal verb)입니다.
on/off/out 등을 동작을 나타내는 동사와 많이 사용합니다.
- The bus was full. We couldn’t get on.
- A woman got into the car and drove off.
- Sally is leaving tomorrow and coming back on Saturday.
- When I touched him on the shoulder, he turned around.
- 동사와 함께 사용하는 단어(on/off/out, etc.)로 특별한 의미를 갖는 동사가 많습니다.
- Sorry I’m late. The car broke down. (= the car stopped working)
- It was my first flight. I was nervous as the plane took off. (= went into the air)
- We don’t have any more milk. We ran out. (= used it all)
- My brother and I get along well. (= are friendly with each other)
- My French isn’t very good, but it’s enough to get by. (= to manage)
- 구동사의 예는 Units 135-142 참조.
§ ¹ 이어(二語)동사라고 부르기도 하는 구동사는 ‘동사 + 부사/전치사’ 형태이며 ‘구동사 + 전치사’ 형태도 있습니다.
§ 동사에 따라서 자동사와 타동사의 의미가 다른 것도 있습니다.
- The engine cut out and the car stopped.
- I cut the picture out of the magazine.
- 구동사 + 전치사(preposition) 구조:
Phrasal Verb Preposition run away from
- Why did you run away from me?
keep up with
- You’re walking too fast. I can’t keep up with you.
look up at
- We looked up at the plane as it flew above us.
look forward to
- Are you looking forward to the weekend?
get along with
- Do you get along with your boss?
- 목적어를 취하는 구동사의 경우 두가지 형태가 가능합니다.
I turned on
the light on.
- 목적어가 대명사(it/them/me/him, etc.)인 경우에는 한가지 형태로만 사용합니다.²
I turned it on. (not I turned on it)
- Could you fill out this form? / fill this form out?
- but They gave me a form and told me to fill it out. (not fill out it)
- Don’t throw away this post card. / throw this post card away.
- but I want to keep this postcard, so don’t throw it away. (not throw away it)
- I’m going to take off my shoes. / take my shoes off.
- but These shoes are uncomfortable. I’m goint to take them off. (not take off them)
- Don’t wake up the baby. / wake the baby up.
- but The baby is asleep. Don’t wake her up. (not wake up her)
§ ² 목적어가 반드시 동사와 부사의 사이에 놓이는 경우도 있습니다.
- I just couldn’t tell the twins apart. (not . . . tell apart the twins)
catch out, hear out, order about, pull to, push to, shut up, stand up 등이 이와 같은 구동사입니다.
§ 목적어가 길어지게 되면 ‘동사 + 부사 + 목적어’의 형태로 사용합니다.
- I had to clean the kitchen up. (or clean up the kitchen.) but I had to clean up the mess in the kitchen.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.