Unit 126 Noun + Preposition (reason for, cause of, etc)
명사 + 전치사
A Noun + for . . .
a check FOR (a sum of money)
- They sent me a check for $200.
a demand / a need FOR . . .
- The company closed down because there wasn’t enough demand for its product.
- There’s no excuse for behavior like that. There’s no need for it.
a reason FOR . . .
- The train was late, but nobody knew the reason for the delay. (not reason of)
B Noun + of . . .
an advantage / a disadvantage OF . . .
- The advantage of living alone is that you can do what you like.
but there is an advantage to (or in) doing something.
- There are many advantages to living alone. (or . . . in living alone)
a cause OF . . .
- The cause of the explosion is unknown.
a photo / a picture / a map / a plan / a drawing, etc. OF . . .
- Rachel showed me some photos of her family.
- I had a map of the town, so I was able to find my way around.
C Noun + in . . .
an increase / a decrease / a rise / a drop IN (prices, etc.)
- There has been an increase in the number of traffic accidents recently.
- Last year was a bad one for the company. There was a big drop in sales.
D Noun + to . . . /toward . . .
damage TO . . .
- The accident was my fault, so I had to pay for the damage to the other car.
an invitation TO . . . (a party / a wedding, etc.)
- Did you get an invitation to the party?
a solution TO (a problem) / a key TO (a door) / an answer TO (a question) / a reply TO (a letter) / a reaction TO . . .
- I hope we find a solution to the problem. (not a solution of the problem)
- I was surprised at her reaction to my suggestion.
an attitude TOWARD . . .
- His attitude toward his job is very negative.
E Noun + with . . . /between . . .
a relationship / a connection / contact WITH . . .
- Do you have a good relationship with your parents?
- The police want to question a man in connection with the robbery.
but a relationship / a connection / contact / a difference BETWEEN two things or people
- The police believe that there is no connection between the two crimes.
- There are some differences between British and American English.
§ Units 126-133, 135-142(3rd Ed. 추가분)은 설명없이 책의 내용을 그대로 옮겼습니다. – 國伊
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.