Unit 124 In/at/on (Other Uses)
A Expressions with in
- in the rain / in the sun (= sunshine) / in the shade / in the dark / in bad weather, etc. = (공간·환경) …속에(서), …속을:
- We sat in the shade. It was too hot to sit in the sun.
- Don’t go out in the rain. Wait until it stops.
- (write) in ink / in pen / in pencil = (도구) …로, …을 사용하여:
- When you take the exam, you’re not allowed to write in pencil.
- 또한, (write) in words / in numbers, in capital letters = (방법·양식) …로, …을 사용하여:
- Please fill out the form in capital letters.
- Write the story in your own words. (= don’t copy somebody else)
- (be/fall) in love (with somebody)
- Have you ever been in love with anybody?
- in (my) opinion = (내) 생각에는, (내)가 보기에는:
- In my opinion, the movie wasn’t very good.
B At the age of . . . , etc.
We are now flying at a speed of 500 miles per hour at an altitude of 30,000 feet.
우리 비행기는 지금 500 mph 의 속도로 3만피트 상공을 날고 있습니다.
- at the age of 16 / at 120 miles an hour / at 100 degrees, etc. = (때·나이·도수·비례 등) …로, …에:
- Tracy left school at 16. or . . . at the age of 16.
- The train was traveling at 120 miles an hour.
- Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.
C On vacation / on a tour, etc
- (be/go) on vacation / on business / on a trip / on a tour / on a cruise, etc. = (목적·용무) …로, …중:
- I’m going on vacation next week.
- Emma’s away on business at this time.
- One day I’d like to go on a world tour.
- “go to a place for vacation” = (목적·의향) …을 위해, …을 목표로:
- Steve has gone to France for vacation.
D Other expressions with on
- on television / on the radio
- I didn’t watch the news on television, but I heard it on the radio.
- on the phone/telephone
- I’ve never met her, but I’ve spoken to her on the phone a few times.
- (be/go) on strike
- There are no trains today. The railroad workers are on strike.
- (be/go) on a diet
- I’ve put on a lot of weight. I’ll have to go on a diet.
- (be) on fire
- Look! That car is on fire!
- on the whole = in general, 대체로, 일반적으로:
- Sometimes I have problems at work, but on the whole I enjoy my job.
- on purpose = intentionally, 고의적으로:
- I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to annoy you. I didn’t do it on purpose.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.