Unit 119 On time and in time | At the end and in the end
A On time and in time
on time = punctual, not late, 정각에, 시간을 어기지 않고, 계획한 시간대로.
- The 11:45 train left on time. (= it left at 11:45)
- “I’ll meet you at 7:30.” “OK, but please be on time.” (= don’t be late, be there at 7:30)
- The conference was well organized. Everything began and ended on time.
on time 의 반대어는 late 입니다.
- Be on time. Don’t be late.
in time (for something / to do something) = soon enough, 늦지 않게, 마침 알맞은 때에
- Will you be home in time for dinner? (= soon enough for dinner, 저녁 시간에 늦지 않게)
- I’ve sent Jill her birthday present. I hope it arrives in time (for her birthday). (= on or before her birthday)
- I’m in a hurry. I want to be home in time to see the game on television. (= soon enough to see the game)
in time 의 반대어는 too late 입니다.
- I got home too late to see the game on television.
just in time = almost too late, 겨우 시간에 맞춰:
- We got to the station just in time for our train.
- A child ran into the street in front of the car – I managed to stop just in time.
B At the end and in the end
at the end of (something) = 끝날 무렵에, 끝날 때에:
at the end of the month at the end of January at the end of the game
at the end of the movie at the end of the course at the end of the concert
- I’m going away at the end of January / at the end of the month.
- At the end of the concert, there was great applause.
- The players shook hands at the end of the game.
“in the end of . . . ” 라고 할 수 없습니다. “in the end of January” 나 “in the end of the concert” 는 틀린 표현입니다.
at the end (of . . .) 의 반대어는 at the beginning (of . . .) 입니다.
- I’m going away at the beginning of January. (not in the beginning)
in the end = finally, 마침내, 결국. 상황의 최종 결과를 표현합니다.
- We had a lot of problems with our car. We sold it in the end. (= finally we sold it)
- He got angrier and angrier. In the end he just walked out of the room.
- Alan couldn’t decide where to go on vacation. He didn’t go anywhere in the end. (not at the end)
in the end 의 반대어는 at first 입니다.
- At first we didn’t get along very well, but in the end we became good friends.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.