Unit 115 Like / as if / as though
- like 로 어떤 사람이나 어떤 것이 어떻게 look/sound/feel 하는지 (보이는지/들리는지/느끼는지) 표현합니다.
- That house looks like it’s going to fall down.
- Helen sounded like she had a cold, didn’t she?
- I’ve just come back from vacation, but I feel very tired. I don’t feel like I just had a vacation.
- 위의 예문에서 as if / as though 를 like 대신 사용할 수 있습니다.
- That house looks as if it’s going to fall down.
- I don’t feel as though I just had a vacation.
- 구어체에서 like 를 많이 사용합니다.
- You look tired. (look + 형용사)
- You look like [or as if] you didn’t sleep last night.
(look like / as if + 주어 + 동사)
- It looks like . . . / It sounds like . . . = 마치 …인 것처럼 보이다/들리다:
- Sandra is very late, isn’t she? It looks like she isn’t coming.
- We took an umbrella because it looked like it was going to rain.
- Do you hear that music next door? It sounds like they’re having a party.
- like 대신에 as if / as though 를 사용할 수 있습니다.
- It looks as if she isn’t coming.
- It looks as though she isn’t coming.
- 다른 동사 + like / as if / as though = 「마치 …하듯이」의 의미로 (누군가가) 어떻게 하는지 표현합니다.
- He ran like he was running for his life.
- After the interruption, the speaker went on talking as if nothing had happened.
- When I told them my plan, they looked at me as though I was crazy.
- as if 다음에 과거형을 사용해서 현재를 표현합니다. 예:
- I don’t like Tim. He talks as if he knew everything.
- 위의 문장은 과거가 아닌 현재의 의미입니다. 실제가 아닌 것이기 때문에 과거형(as if he knew)을 사용합니다. Tim 이 모든 것을 다 아는 것이 아닙니다. if 나 wish 를 사용하는 문장에서 과거형을 사용하는 경우와 같습니다. (Unit 37 참조)
- She’s always asking me to do things for her – as if I didn’t have enough to do already. (I do have enough to do.)
- Garry’s only 40. Why do you talk about him as if he was an old man? (He isn’t an old man.)
- be 동사는 가정법 과거에서 were 로 사용하는 것과 마찬가지로 as if 다음에도 was 대신에 were 를 사용할 수 있습니다.
- Why do you talk about him as if he were (or was) an old man?
- They treat me as if I were (or was) their own son. (I’m not their son.)
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.