Unit 114 Like and as
- like = …과 유사하게, …과 마찬가지로. 이런 뜻으로는 as 를 사용할 수 없습니다.
- What a beautiful house! It’s like a palace. (not as a palace)
- “What does Sandra do?” “She’s a teacher, like me.” (not as me)
- Be careful! The floor has been polished. It’s like walking on ice. (not as walking)
- It’s raining again. I hate weather like this. (not as this)
- 위의 예문에서 like 는 전치사입니다. 그러므로 like 다음에는 명사 (like a palace), 대명사 (like me, like this), 동명사 (like walking) 등이 나와야 합니다.
“ . . . like (somebody / something)¹ doing something” 의 표현도 가능합니다.
- “What’s that noise?” “It sounds like a baby crying.”
§ ¹ 동명사 앞의 (somebody / something) 이 동명사 doing 의 의미상 주어입니다.
- like = [예를 들어] …과 같은:
- Some sports, like race-car driving, can be dangerous.
- 위의 like 와 같은 의미로 such as (= for example) 도 사용할 수 있습니다.
- Some sports, such as race-car driving, can be dangerous.
- as = 같은 방법으로, 같은 조건으로. as + subject + verb 의 형태로 사용하는 접속사입니다.
- I didn’t move anything. I left everything as it was.
- You should have done it as I showed you. (= the way I showed you)
- 위와 같은 경우에 격식을 차리지 않는 구어체에서 like 를 사용할 수 있습니다.
- I left everything like it was.
- like 와 as 의 비교:
- You should have done it as I showed you. (or like I showed you)
- You should have done it like this. (not as this)
- as usual / as always = 언제나 다름 없이, 언제나 처럼, 항상:
- You’re late as usual.
- As always, Nick was the first to complain.
- as + (주어 + 동사)의 형태에서 다른 의미를 갖는 경우도 있습니다.² 다음의 예문과 같이 동사 do 와 함께 사용하는 경우:
- You can do as you like. (= do what you like)
- They did as they promised. (= they did what they promised)
- as you know / as I said / as she expected / as I thought 등:
- As you know, it’s Emma’s birthday next week. (= you know this already)
- Ann failed her driving test, as she expected. (= she expected this before)
- 위의 경우에서 say (like I said)를 제외하고는 like 를 거의 사용하지 않습니다.
- As I said yesterday, I’m sure we can solve the problem. or Like I said yesterday . . .
§ ² 관계대명사 역할을 하는 as 로 의사(擬似)관계대명사입니다.
- as 는 또한 전치사로 사용하지만 like 와 다른 의미입니다.³
- Brenda Casey is the manager of a company. As the manager, she has to make many important decisions. (As the manager = in her position as the manager)
- Mary Stone is the assistant manager. Like the manager (Brenda Casey), she also has to make important decisions. (Like the manager = similar to the manager)
- as (전치사) = …의 지위로서, …(으)로서:
- A few years ago I worked as a taxi driver. (not like a taxi driver)
- We don’t have a car, so we use the garage as a workshop.
- Many English words, for example “work” and “rain,” can be used as verbs or nouns.
- New York is all right as a place to visit, but I wouldn’t like to live there.
- The news of the tragedy came as a great shock.
§ ³ as <역할·자격·기능·성질 따위를 나타내어> …으로서(의), …와 같은[같이, 같아]
like …과 같은 방식으로, …과 마찬가지로, (모양·내용 따위가) …을 닮아, …과 유사하여.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.