Unit 111 In case
Your car should have a spare tire because it is possible you will have a flat tire.
타이어가 펑크나는 것이 가능하기 때문에 차에 스페어 타이어가 있어야 합니다.
Your car should have a spare tire in case you have a flat tire.
펑크가 나는 경우에 대비해서 차에 스페어 타이어를 준비해야 합니다.
in case you have a flat tire = because it is possible you will have a flat tire.
- in case 의 용례:
- I’ll leave my cell phone on in case Jane calls. (= because it is possible she will call)
- I’ll draw a map for you in case you can’t find our house. (= because it is possible you won’t be able to find it)
- I’ll remind them about the meeting in case they’ve forgotten. (= because it is possible they have forgotten)
- 가능성이 더 낮은 경우에 just in case 를 사용합니다.
- I don’t think it will rain, but I’ll take an umbrella just in case. (= just in case it rains)
- in case 다음에는 will 를 사용할 수 없습니다.¹ 현재형으로 미래를 표현합니다. (Unit 24 참조)
- I’ll leave my phone on in case Jane calls. (not in case Jane will call)
§ ¹ 시간·조건의 부사절에서는 현재형이 미래를 대신합니다.
- in case 는 if 와 같지 않습니다. in case 는 행동의 이유를 표현하고, 나중(later)의 일에 대비해서 지금(now) 행동을 하는 경우입니다.
in case if
- We’ll buy some more food in case Tom comes. (= Maybe Tom will come; we’ll buy some more food now, whether he comes or not; then we’ll already have the food if he comes.)
- We’ll buy some more food if Tom comes. (= Maybe Tom will come; if he comes, we’ll buy some more food; if he doesn’t come, we won’t buy any more food.)
- I’ll give you my phone number in case you need to contact me.
- You can call me at the hotel if you need to contact me.
- You should register your bike in case it is stolen.
- You should inform the police if your bike is stolen.
- in case + 과거형으로 지난 행동의 이유를 표현합니다.
- I left my phone on in case Jane called. (= because it was possible that Jane would call)
- I drew a map for Sarah in case she couldn’t find the house.
- We rang the bell again in case they hadn’t heard it the first time.
- in case of 는 in case 와 같지 않습니다. in case of . . . = [특히 표지판·경고문에서] 만약 …인 경우에, 만약 …이 일어나면, 만약 …가 되면:
- In case of fire, please leave the building as quickly as possible. (= if there is a fire)
- In case of emergency, call this number. (= if there is an emergency)
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.