Unit 101 Enough and too
- enough 는 형용사와 부사의 뒤에 위치합니다.
- I can’t run very far. I’m not fit enough. (not enough fit)
- Let’s go. We’ve waited long enough.
- Is Joe going to apply for the job? Is he experienced enough?
- too . . . 와 not . . . enough 의 비교:
- You never stop working. You work too hard. (= more than is necessary)
- You’re lazy. You don’t work hard enough. (= less than is necessary)
- enough 는 명사 앞에 위치합니다.
- I can’t run very far. I don’t have enough energy. (not energy enough)
- Is Joe going to apply for the job? Does he have enough experience?
- We’ve got enough money. We don’t need any more.
- Some of us had to sit on the floor because there weren’t enough chairs.
- We didn’t have enough time. (not the time wasn’t enough)
- There is enough money. (not the money is enough)
- enough 는 명사 없이 단독으로 사용할 수 있습니다.
- We don’t need any more money. We’ve got enough.
- too much/many 와 enough 비교:
- There’s too much furniture in this room. There’s not enough space.
- There are too many people and not enough chairs.
- enough/too . . . for somebody/something:
- We don’t have enough money for a vacation.
- Is Joe experienced enough for the job?
- This shirt is too big for me. I need a smaller size.
- enough/too . . . to do something (not for doing – 반드시 부정사를 사용합니다.)
- We don’t enough money to go on a vacation.
- Is Joe experienced enough to do the job?
- They’re too young to get married. / They’re not old enough to get married.
- Let’s take a taxi. it’s too far to walk home from here.
- The bridge is just wide enough for two cars to pass each other.
- 다음의 예를 보겠습니다.
The food was very hot. We couldn’t eat it.
and The food was so hot that we couldn’t eat it.
but The food was too hot to eat.¹ (it 가 없습니다)
- 위와 같은 예문:
- These boxes are too heavy to carry. (not too heavy to carry them)
- The wallet was too big to put in my pocket. (not too big to put it)
- This chair isn’t strong enough to stand on. (not strong enough to stand on it)
§ ¹ 처음에 나온 두문장을 too … to … 형태의 단문으로 변형했고, 「너무 뜨거워서 먹을 수 없었다」라고 해석하는 것이 올바른 방법입니다. ‘먹기에 너무 뜨거웠다’ 식의 해석을 많이 볼 수 있습니다만 틀린 경우입니다.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.