Unit 95 -ing and -ed Phrases (the woman talking to Tom, the boy injured in the accident)
- 구(句, phrase)는 문장의 일부이며 -ing 혹은 -ed 로 시작하는 경우가 있습니다.
Do you know the woman talking to Tom?
The boy injured in the accident was taken to the hospital.
위의 예문에서 talking to Tom 이 -ing phrase 이고, injured in the accident 가 -ed phrase 입니다.
- -ing phrase 로 누군가가(어떤것이) 특정한 시간에 하고 있는(있던) 것을 표현합니다.
- Do you know the woman talking to Sam? (the woman is talking to Sam)
- Police investigating the crime are looking for three men. (police are investigating the crime)
- Who were those people waiting outside? (they were waiting)
- I was awakened by a bell ringing. (a bell was ringing)
- -ing phrase 로 특정한 시간에 일어나는 일이 아닌 항상 일어나는 일을 표현할 수 있습니다.
- The road connecting the two towns is very narrow. (the road connects the two towns)
- I have a large bedroom overlooking the garden. (the bedroom overlooks the garden)
- Can you think of the name of a flower beginning with “t”? (the name begins with “t”)
- -ed phrase 는 수동의 의미입니다.
- The boy injured in the accident was taken to the hospital. (he was injured in the accident)
- George showed me some pictures painted by his father.
(they had been painted by his father)
- 위의 예문에서 injured 와 painted 는 과거분사(past participle)입니다. stolen/made/written 등 -ed 형태가 아닌 불규칙변화동사의 과거분사들이 많이 있습니다.
- The police never found the money stolen in the robbery.
- Most of the goods made in this factory are exported.
- “사용되지 않은채 아직도 그곳에 남겨진(not used, still there)”의 의미로 left 를 다음과 같이 사용할 수 있습니다.
- We’ve eaten almost all the chocolates. There are only a few left.
- there is / there was 등으로 시작하는 문장에 -ing 와 -ed phrase 를 자주 사용합니다.
- There were some children swimming in the river.
- Is there anybody waiting?
- There was a big red car parked outside the house.
§ 분사와 분사구문은 ggoogi’s Grammar 분사 참조.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.