Unit 88 All, every, and whole
A All and everybody/everyone
- 각각의 사람 모두 everybody/everyone 의 의미로 all 를 사용하지 않습니다.
- Everybody enjoyed the party. (not All enjoyed)
- all of us/you/them 의 구조로 사용합니다. (not everybody of . . .)
- All of us enjoyed the party. (not Everybody of us)
B All and everything
- all 과 everything 을 구별없이 사용할 수 있는 경우:
- I’ll do all I can to help. or I’ll do everything I can to help.
- all I can / all you need 등과 같이 사용하고 all 은 일반적인 경우에 단독으로 사용하지 않습니다.
- He thinks he knows everything. (not he knows all)
- Our vacation was a disaster. Everything went wrong. (not All went wrong)
- all about 같은 표현에 단독으로 사용합니다.
- He knows all about computers.
- 유일한 것[the only thing(s)]을 나타내는 경우 all 을 사용하고 everything 을 사용하지 않습니다.
- All I’ve eaten today is a sandwich. (= the only thing I’ve eaten today)
- every/everybody/everyone/everything 은 단수형이므로 단수동사를 사용합니다.
- Every seat in the theater was taken.
- Everyone has arrived. (not have arrived)
- 그러나, everybody/everyone 의 대명사는 they/them/their 를 주로 사용합니다.
- Everybody said they enjoyed themselves. (= he or she enjoyed himself or herself)
D Whole and all
- whole = complete, entire. 전체를 뜻하며 주로 단수명사와 같이 사용합니다.
- Did you read the whole book? (= all of the book, not just a part of it)
- Lila has lived her whole life in Chile.
- I was so hungry, I ate a whole package of cookies. (= a complete package)
- whole 과 all 는 the/my/her 등 정관사·소유격의 위치가 다릅니다.
- the whole way / all the way her whole life / all her life
- 일반적으로 whole 은 불가산명사(uncountable)와 사용하지 않습니다.
- I’ve spent all the money you gave me. (not the whole money)
E Every/all/whole with time words
- every 는 빈도를 나타냅니다. (every day / every Monday / every 10 minutes / every three weeks, etc.)
- When we were on vacation, we went to the beach every day. (not all days)
- The bus service is very good. There’s a bus every 10 minutes.
- We don’t see each other very often – about every six months.
- all day / the whole day = 하루 종일 (시작부터 끝까지):
- We spent all day / the whole day at the beach.
- Dan was very quiet. He didn’t say a word all night / the whole night.
- all day (not all the day), all week (not all the week) 등과 같이 정관사 없이 사용합니다.
all the time 과 every time 의 비교:
- They never go out. They are at home all the time. (= always, continuously, 언제나)
- Every time I see you, you look different. (= each time, on every occasion, 매번)
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.