Unit 80 Myself/yourself/themselves, etc.
Steve: Hi, I’m Steve.
Steve introduced himself to the other guests.
주어(subject)와 목적어(object)가 일치하는 경우에 재귀대명사(reflexive pronoun) myself/yourself/himself 등을 사용합니다.
Steve [주어] introduced himself [목적어]
- 재귀대명사(reflexive pronoun)의 종류:
singular myself yourself (one person) himself/herself/itself plural ourselves yourselves (more than one person) themselves
- I don’t want you to pay for me. I’ll pay for myself. (not I’ll pay for me)
- Julie had a great vacation. She really enjoyed herself.
- Do you talk to yourself sometimes? (said to one person, 단수)
- If you want more to eat, help yourselves. (said to more than one person, 복수)
- It’s not our fault. You can’t blame us.
- It’s our own fault. We should blame ourselves.
- feel/realx/concentrate/meet 다음에는 myself 등의 재귀대명사를 사용하지 않습니다.
- I feel nervous. I can’t relax.
- You have to try and concentrate. (not concentrate yourself)
- What time should we meet? (not meet ourselves, not meet us)
- wash/shave/dress 다음에는 myself 등의 재귀대명사를 주로 사용하지 않습니다.
- He got up, washed, shaved, and dressed. (not washed himself, etc.)
- 위의 예문에서 수동형 get dressed 도 사용할 수 있습니다. (He got dressed.)
- 재귀대명사 -selves 와 each other 의 차이:
- Kate and Joe stood in front of the mirror and looked at themselves. (= Kate and Joe looked at Kate and Joe.)
- Kate looked at Joe; Joe looked at Kate. They looked at each other.
- each other 대신에 one another 을 사용할 수 있습니다.
- How long have you and Bill known each other? or . . . known one another?
- Sue and Ann don’t like each other. or . . . don’t like one another.
- Do you and Sarah live near each other? or . . . near one another?
- myself/yourself 등의 재귀대명사를 다른 용도로 사용하는 경우:
- “Who repaired your bicycle for you?” “I repaired it myself.”
- I repaired it myself = 남이 아닌 바로 내가 했다는 것을 강조하는 myself 입니다.
- I’m not going to do your work for you. You can do it yourself. (= you, not me)
- Let’s paint the house ourselves. It will be much cheaper.
- The movie itself wasn’t very good, but I loved the music.
- I don’t think Sue will get the job. Sue herself doesn’t think she’ll get it.
(or Sue doesn’t think she’ll get it herself.)
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.