Unit 72 The 2 (school / the school, etc.)
- school 과 the school 비교:
Claudia is 10 years old. Every day she goes to school. She’s at school now. School begins at 9:00 and ends at 3:00. Today Claudia’s mother wants to speak to her daughter’s teacher. So she has gone to the school to see her. She’s at the school now. 정관사 없이 사용하는 school 는 일반적인 의미의 학교를 뜻하고, 학생으로서 다니는 school 에 해당합니다. Claudia goes to school or is in school 등과 같은 표현에서 특정한 school 를 의미하지 않습니다. Claudia 의 엄마가 학교를 방문하게 되면 학생으로서 가는 것이 아니기 때문에 She is not “in school,” she doesn’t “go to school” 입니다. Claudia 의 엄마가 딸의 선생님을 만나러 학교에 가는(방문하는) 경우는 she goes to the school (= Claudia’s school, 특정한 학교) 입니다. the 를 사용해서 특정한(specific) 학교를 나타냅니다.
- prison/jail, college, class, church 도 일반적인 의미로 사용하는 경우에 the 를 사용하지 않습니다.
- Ken’s brother is in prison for robbery. (죄수로 감옥에 있고, 특정한 감옥이 아님)
- Ken went to the prison to visit his brother. (죄수가 아닌 방문자로서 특정한 감옥에 감)
- When I finish high school, I want to go to college.
- Dan is a student at the college where I used to work. (= a particular college)
- Mrs. Kelly goes to church every Sunday. (to a religious service, 종교 활동)
- Some workmen went to the church to repair the roof. (not for a religious service, 비종교 활동)
- I was in class for five hours today. (= attending a class or classes in high school or college)
- Who is the youngest student in the class? (= a specific group of students)
- the hospital, the bank, the station 등 대부분의 장소의 경우 the 를 사용합니다. (Units 70C, 71D 참조)
C Bed work home
- go to bed / be in bed, etc. (not the bed):
- It’s time to go to bed now.
- Do you ever have breakfast in bed? but
- I sat down on the bed. (= a specific piece of furniture, 특정한 가구)
- go to work / be at work / start work / finish work, etc. (not the work):
- Ann didn’t go to work yesterday.
- What time do you usually finish work?
- go home / come home / get home / be (at) home, etc.:
- It’s late. Let’s go home.
- Will you be (at) home tomorrow afternoon?
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.