Unit 71 The 1
- 유일한 것에 사용하는 the:
- What is the longest river in the world? (There is only one longest river.)
- The Earth goes around the sun, and the moon goes around the Earth.
- Have you ever crossed the equator?
- I’m going away at the end of this month.
- 국가의 수도도 유일한 것이므로 the:
- Paris is the capital of France. (not Paris is capital of . . . )
- 종류/성질을 나타낼 때는 a/an 사용. (Unit 69B 참조) the 와 a 의 비교:
- The sun is a star. (= one of many stars)
- The hotel we stayed at was a very nice hotel.
- the sky / the sea / the ocean / the ground / the country / the environment:
- We looked up at all the stars in the sky. (not in sky)
- Would you like to live in the country? (= not in a town or a city)
- We must do more to protect the environment. (= the natural world around us)
- space 가 “우주 공간”을 의미하는 경우 the 를 사용하지 않습니다.
- There are millions of stars in space. (not in the space)
- I tried to park my car, but the space was too small.
- same 앞에는 the 를 사용해서 the same¹:
- Your sweater is the same color as mine. (not is same color)
- “Are these keys the same?” “No, they’re different.”
§ ¹ 동일함을 나타내는 것. the same thing, the very book I lost 등.
- (go to) the movies / the theater:
- I go to the movies a lot, but I haven’t been to the theater in ages.
- 여기에서 the movies, the theater 등은 특정한 극장이 아닙니다.
the radio, 그러나 television 과 TV 는 the 없이 사용합니다.
- I listen to the radio a lot. but I watch television a lot.
- We heard the news on the radio. but We watched the news on TV.
- the television = the television set
- Can you turn off the television, please?
E Breakfast lunch dinner
- breakfast, lunch 등의 식사에는 the 를 사용하지 않습니다.
- What did you have for breakfast?
- We had lunch in a very nice restaurant.
- What time is dinner?
- 그러나, breakfast, lunch 등의 앞에 형용사가 있으면 부정관사 a 를 사용합니다.
- We had a very nice lunch. (not we had very nice lunch)
F Gate 10 Room 126, etc.
- 명사 + 숫자 앞에 the 를 사용하지 않습니다.
- Our plane leaves from Gate 10. (not the Gate 10)
- (in a store) Do you have these shoes in size 9? (not the size 9)
- Room 126 (in a hotel), page 29 (of a book), question 3 (on a test), Platform 6 (at a train station) 등으로 사용합니다.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.