Unit 61 Expression + -ing
동명사의 관용적 표현
- 다음은 동사의 -ing 형태를 사용하는 관용 표현입니다.
There is no point in . . . = …해도 소용이 없다.
- There is no point in having a car if you never use it.
- There was no point in waiting any longer, so we left.
그러나, “the point of doing something” 의 형태로도 자주 사용합니다.
- What’s the point of having a car if you never use it?
There’s no use / It’s no use . . . = …해도 소용이 없다.
- There’s nothing you can do about the situation, so there’s no use worrying about it.
or . . . it’s no use worrying about it.
It’s (not) worth . . . = …할 가치가 있다(없다).
- I live only a short walk from here, so it’s not worth taking a taxi.
- Our flight was very early in the morning, so it wasn’t worth going to bed.
“a movie is worth seeing,” “a book is worth reading” 등으로도 사용할 수 있습니다.
- What was the movie like? Was it worth seeing?
- Thieves broke into the house but didn’t take anything. There was nothing worth stealing.
B Have trouble -ing, have difficulty -ing, have a problem -ing
have trouble doing something (not to do) = …하는데 어려움을 겪다.
- I had no trouble finding a place to live. (not trouble to find)
- Did you have any trouble getting a visa?
- People often have a lot of trouble reading my writing.
have difficulty / a problem doing something = …하는데 문제[어려움]를(을) 겪다.
- I had difficulty finding a place to live. or
I had a problem finding a place to live.
spend/waste (time) -ing = …하는데(하느라) (시간을) 보내다/낭비하다.
- He spent hours trying to repair the clock.
- I waste a lot of time daydreaming.
(be) busy -ing = …하느라 바쁘다.
- She said she couldn’t go with us. She was too busy doing other things.
D Go swimming / go fishing, etc.
go -ing = …하러 가다. 특히 운동을 하러 간다는 표현에 많이 사용하고, 어떤 활동을 하러 간다는 표현입니다.
go swimming go sailing go fishing go hiking go skiing go jogging
그리고, go shopping go sightseeing 등이 있습니다.
- How often do you go swimming?
- I’d like to go skiing.
- When was the last time you went shopping?
- I’ve never gone sailing.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.