Unit 58 Preposition (in/for/about, etc.) + -ing
전치사 + -ing
- 전치사 (in/for/about, etc.) + 동명사 -ing:
Preposition Verb (-ing) Are you interested
I’m not very good
Sue must be fed up
What are the advantages
Thanks very much
Why don’t you go out
Carol went to work
in spite of
me to your party.
for lunch tomorrow?
at home all the time?
- “instead of somebody doing something,” “fed up with people doing something” 과 같은 형태도 가능합니다.¹
- I’m fed up with people telling me what to do.
§ ¹ 전치사 + 동명사의 의미상의 주어 + 동명사: 목적격과 소유격 형태로 동명사의 의미상의 주어를 나타낼 수 있지만 목적격 형태를 일반적으로 사용합니다. 예) with his doing …, with him doing … 등.
- 전치사 + -ing 용례:
before -ing, after -ing:
- Before going out, I called Sarah. (not Before to go out)
- What did you do after finishing school?
위의 예문에서 “Before I went out . . .” 와 “. . . after you finished school” 도 가능합니다. by -ing (수단·이유):
- The burglars got into the house by breaking a window and climbing in.
- You can improve your English by reading more.
- She made herself sick by not eating properly.
- Many accidents are caused by people driving too fast.
- We ran 10 miles without stopping.
- It was a stupid thing to say. I said it without thinking.
- She needs to work without people disturbing her. (or . . . without being disturbed.)
- I have enough problems of my own without having to worry about yours.
C To -ing (look forward to doing something, etc.)
- 부정사 (to do / to see, etc.)의 to:
- We decided to go out.
- Would you like to meet for lunch tomorrow?
- 전치사 (in/for/about/from, etc.)의 to:
- We drove from Houston to Chicago.
- I prefer tea to coffee.
- Are you looking forward to the weekend?
- 전치사 다음에 나오는 동사는 -ing 형태로 사용합니다.
in doing about meeting without stopping (etc.)
to 가 전치사인 경우 동사는 -ing 의 형태로 사용합니다.
- I prefer driving to traveling by train. (not to travel)
- Are you looking forward to going on vacation? (not looking forward to go)
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.