Unit 54 Verb + -ing or to . . . 1 (remember/regret, etc.)
동사 + -ing / to . . . 1
- 동명사 -ing 를 목적어로 취하는 동사와 부정사 to . . . 를 목적어로 취하는 동사:
-ing: to . . . : admit
Unit 51 참조 Unit 52 참조
- 동명사 -ing 목적어와 부정사 to . . . 목적어에 따라서 의미가 달라지는 동사: remember
I remember doing something = I did it and now I remember this. 했고, 지금 기억함. I remembered to do something = I remembered that I had to do it, so I did it. 해야 할 것을 기억하고 했음. remember doing (하고 나서) …한 것을 기억 remember to do (하기 전에) …할 것을 기억
- I know I locked the door. I clearly remember locking it. (= I locked it, and now I remember this)
- I remembered to lock the door, but I forgot to shut the windows. (= I remembered that I had to lock the door, and so I locked it)
- He could remember driving along the road just before the accident, but he couldn’t remember the accident itself.
- Please remember to mail this letter. (= don’t forget to mail it)
I regret doing something = I did it and now I’m sorry about it. 했고, 지금은 후회(유감) I regret to say / to tell you / to inform you = I’m sorry that I have to say. 유감스럽게도 …입니다, 유감스러운 소식 …를 알려드립니다.
- I now regret saying what I said. I shouldn’t have said it.
- (from a formal letter) We regret to inform you that we cannot offer you the job.
유감스럽게도 귀하를 채용할 수 없음을 알려드립니다.
- It began to get cold and he regretted not wearing his coat.
- go on
Go on doing something = continue doing the same thing: 하던 것을 계속하다. Go on to do something = do or say something new: (하나를 마치고) 새로운 것을 (말)하기 시작하다.
- The president went on talking for hours.
- After discussing the economy, the president then went on to talk about foreign policy.
- We need to change. We can’t go on living like this.
- -ing 와 to . . . 의 사용에 차이가 없는 동사:
begin start continue bother
- It has started raining. or It has started to rain.
- Don’t bother locking the door. or Don’t bother to lock . . .
- 그러나 진행형 (-ing)의 경우 동명사 -ing 를 사용하지 않고 부정사 to . . . 로 사용합니다.
- It’s starting to rain. (not It’s starting raining)
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.