Unit 133 Phrasal Verbs (get up / break down / fill in, etc.)
동사와 같이 구동사¹(phrasal verb)를 만드는 단어들:
put out / get on / take off / run away 등이 구동사(phrasal verb)입니다.
on/off/out 등을 동작을 나타내는 동사와 많이 사용합니다.
| • The bus was full. We couldn’t get on.
• A woman got into the car and drove off.
• Sally is leaving tomorrow and coming back on Saturday.
• When I touched him on the shoulder, he turned around.
동사와 함께 사용하는 단어(on/off/out, etc.)로 특별한 의미를 갖는 동사가 많습니다.
| • Sorry I’m late. The car broke down. (= the car stopped working)
• Look out! There’s a car coming. (= be careful)
• It was my first flight. I was nervous as the plane took off.
(= went into the air)
• I was very tired this morning. I couldn’t get up. (= get out of bed)
• My Japanese isn’t very good, but it’s enough to get by. (= to manage)
§ ¹ 동사 + 부사/전치사 형태를 구동사라고 하며 구동사(동사 + 부사) + 전치사 형태도 있습니다. 이어(二語)동사라고 부르기도 합니다.
§ 동사에 따라서 자동사와 타동사의 의미가 다른 것도 있습니다.
- The engine cut out and the car stopped.
- I cut the picture out of the magazine.
구동사 + 전치사(preposition) 구조:
| • Why did you run away from me?
• You’re walking too fast. I can’t keep up with you.
• Are you looking forward to the weekend?
목적어를 취하는 구동사의 경우 두가지 형태가 가능합니다.
|I turned off
||the light off.
목적어가 대명사(it/them/me/him, etc.)인 경우에는 한가지 형태로만 사용합니다.²
• I turned it off. (not I turned off it)
|• Could you||fill out this form?
fill this form out?
|but They gave me a form and told me to fill it out. (not fill out it)|
|• The police got into the house by||breaking down the door.
breaking the door down.
|but The door wasn’t locked. Why did the police break it down? (not break down it)|
|• I think I’ll||throw away these newspapers.
throw these newspapers away.
|but Do you want these newspapers, or should I throw them away? (not throw away them)|
|• Don’t||wake up the baby.
wake the baby up.
|but The baby is asleep. Don’t wake her up. (not wake up her)|
§ ² 목적어가 반드시 동사와 부사의 사이에 놓이는 경우도 있습니다.
- I just couldn’t tell the twins apart. (not . . . tell apart the twins)
catch out, hear out, order about, pull to, push to, shut up, stand up 등이 이와 같은 구동사입니다.
§ 목적어가 길어지게 되면 ’동사 + 부사 + 목적어’의 형태로 사용합니다.
- I had to clean the kitchen up. (or clean up the kitchen.) but I had to clean up the mess in the kitchen.
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.