Unit 49 No, none (of) and not any
- 강조를 하기 위해 not a 또는 not any 대신에 no 와 none (of) 를 사용합니다.
- There isn’t a train until tomorrow. and There’s no train until tomorrow. (more emphatic)
- She didn’t give me any help at all. and She gave me no help at all.
- Sorry, there isn’t any left. and Sorry there’s none left.
- He didn’t have any of the usual symptoms. and He had none of the usual symptoms.
- 다른 유사한 부정어들도 같은 방법으로 사용합니다.
- There isn’t anyone/anybody here. and There’s no-one/nobody here. (more emphatic)
- I haven’t got anything to wear for the party. and I’ve got nothing to wear for the party.
- She wasn’t anywhere to be seen. and She was nowhere to be seen.
- Why don’t you ever call me? and Why do you never call me?
- not a/any, not anyone 등의 not 로 시작하는 부정어를 문장이나 절의 첫 단어, 또는 and 와 but 그리고 that 로 시작하는 절의 첫 단어로 사용하지 않고, 대신에 no, none of, no-one 등을 사용합니다.
- No force was needed to make them move. (not Not any force was needed…)
- Most players are under 16 and none of them is over 20. (not …and not any of them…)
- We arranged the meeting, but no-one came. (not …but not anyone…)
- I’m sure that nothing can go wrong. (not …that not anything can…)
- 격식을 차리는 문체 또는 문어체에서는 문장의 맨 앞에 또는 and 와 but 그리고 that 로 시작하는 절의 맨 앞에 not a 를 사용할 수 있습니다. (Unit 100 참조)
- Not a sound came from the room. (less formally There wasn’t a sound from the room.)
- She kept so quiet that not a soul in the house knew she was there.
- no 다음에는 단수명사 또는 복수명사를 의미상 차이 없이 사용할 수 있습니다. 그러나, 단수명사를 사용하는 것이 일반적으로 격식을 차린 경우입니다.
- No answers could be found. (or more formally No answer…)
- We want to go to the island but there are no boats to take us. (or more formally …there is no boat.)
- 그러나, 어떤 것 중의 하나를 예상하는 경우는 단수명사를 사용하고 두개 이상을 예상하는 경우는 복수명사를 사용합니다. 비교:
- I phoned Sarah at home, but there was no answer. (not …but there were no answers.) and
- He seems very lonely at school, and has no friends. (not …no friend.)
- no amount of + 불가산명사, not one/ not a single + 단수 가산명사, not one of + 복수명사 등의 형태로 no 또는 none of 를 강조할 수 있습니다.
- The company is so badly managed that no amount of investment will make it successful.
- It was clear that no amount of planning could have improved the situation.
- Not one person remembered my birthday. (or Not a single person…)
- Not one of the families affected by the noise wants to move.
- 격식을 차리지 않은 구어체에서 흔히 사용되는 관용적인 no… 표현들: No wonder (= it’s not surprising); No idea (= I don’t know); No comment (= I have nothing to say); No way, No chance (= emphatic ways of saying ‘no’, particularly to express refusal to do or believe something); No problem, No bother (= it isn’t/wasn’t difficult to do something):
- ‘The computer’s not working again.’ ‘No wonder. It’s not plugged in!’
- ‘Thanks for the lift.’ ‘No problem. I had to go past the station anyway.’
이 저작물은 크리에이티브 커먼즈 저작자표시-비영리-변경금지 4.0 국제 라이선스에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.